September 2020 Reading Ladder…

Book Review: Amanda Lovelace's The Princess Saves Herself in this One —  Tall Drink o Water

Rating System

⭑⭒⭒⭒⭒-ew, do not recommend

⭑⭑⭒⭒⭒-it’s okay

⭑⭑⭑⭒⭒-alright, had some good moments

⭑⭑⭑⭑⭒-enjoyable, and would read again

⭑⭑⭑⭑⭑-amazing, one of my favs!!!

The Princess Saves Herself In This One (Amanda Lovelace)

Rating: ⭑⭑⭑⭒⭒

Pages: 199/199

Average number of pages: 13/day

Summary: The Princess Saves herself in This One, is a work of modern poetry exploring the different aspects of a women’ s life, including misery and happiness. It is a semi-autobiographical piece and is split into four section; The princess, the damsel, the queen, and you. The author refers to herself as the princess throughout the several pieces of poetry highlighting her own life experiences, and how she has overcome her demons. The first three chapters beautifully weave together her relationships with men, family, friends, her own body image and society. In the last chapters “the queen” and “you”, Lovelace addresses heartbreak, and the ups and downs of romance.

Comments: Overall I feel that personally this book was an easy read. I enjoyed the author’s writing style, as her use of syntax is both honest and endearing. I also enjoyed the inclusion of several fairytale elements, such as referring to women as “queens” or “princess,” as it empowers the reader, and makes the subject matter of the poetry more relatable. I truly enjoyed the love letters she had written to the reader acknowledging the hard work we put in to our everyday activities, allowing a strong connection and bond to be built between the author and the potential reader. However, I have also realized that I am not a huge fan of poetry, although I had enjoyed the message behind the excerpts, which is why I have given it 3 stars.

Reflection: I am not completely satisfied with my reading habits during this month. I have calculated my pages per day for only half the month, starting on September 15, 2020, which is when I had first joined the creative writing class. The goal to read at least 20 pages per day was not met, which is my gaol for the upcoming month of October. I have also not had the chance to start another book and read as much I was like, as I have many core classes and assignments to catch up on. I would like to make reading a priority and continue to read more challenging books. I am looking forward to completing novels that will be studied in English 30-1 next semester including, “The wars” and a current leisurely read such as, “A House In The Sky,” by Amanda Lindhout..