November 2020 Reading Ladder…

Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston
A House in the Sky: A Memoir: Amazon.ca: Lindhout, Amanda, Corbett, Sara:  Books

Rating System

⭑⭒⭒⭒⭒-ew, do not recommend

⭑⭑⭒⭒⭒-it’s okay

⭑⭑⭑⭒⭒-alright, had some good moments

⭑⭑⭑⭑⭒-enjoyable, and would read again

⭑⭑⭑⭑⭑-amazing, one of my favs!!!

A House In The Sky (Amanda Lindhout and Sara Corbett)

⭑⭑⭑⭒⭒-alright, had some good moments

pages: 373/373

Average number of pages: 4 pages/day

Summary:

A House In the Sky is a dramatic memoir of a woman whose curiosity had inspired her love for travel and lead her to visit the world’s most beautiful, remote and dangerous regions. Allowing her to experience everything from the beautiful landscape of each country, to the intense fighting and war between various ethnic groups. Her passion for adventure had stemmed from her childhood hardships shaping her ideological perspectives. Her growth throughout her travels leads her to a career as a photographer, as she risks her life in an effort to capture her experiences in these perilous areas.

Comments:

The novel itself had personally moved really slow for me as I had mentioned in last months reading ladder. It felt as if the beginning had been dragged on which had lead to my loss of interest early on in the book. However I enjoyed the imagery presented within the novel and how there had been bits and pieces of information at the very beginning which had foreshadowed her future travels. for example the illustration of her poor childhood and foreshadowed her future adventures and the horrible turn of events ( I don’t want to ruin the story….). The addition of her personal thoughts also allowed a stronger connection between the narrator and the reader. I had read up to 250 pages last month and have based my average pages per day staring from there.

Their Eyes Were watching God (Zora Neale Hurston)

⭑⭑⭑⭑⭒-enjoyable, and would read again

Pages: 65/205

Average number of pages: 6 pages/day

Summary:

The novel follows Janie Crawford a young, attractive and confident black woman who returns to her home town of Eatonville, Florida. The townspeople continue to speculate about where she has been and what has happened to her husband behind her back and mistake her confidence for rudeness. However her best friend Phoebe sticks up for her and pays Janie a visit to find out for herself what had actually happened. It follows Janie’s childhood stories and upbringing, and the struggle to be defined as a woman outside her marriage. The novel itself explores traditional gender roles and the ups and downs within relationships between men and women.

Comments:

I had started reading this book during the second last week of the month of November hence the average pages per day is calculated on that basis. As I have not been able to finish the novel I have not been provided with the opportunity to fully see what the novel has to offer. So far I have found it a bit difficult to understand the dialogue as much of it is written in a different way but I feel with time I will be able to get used to it and look past it. I thoroughly enjoy the plot line thus far and how the author has chosen to explore the idea of situating love in the rural south. The author has illustrated the idea that every woman including all black women are worthy of the love they desire regardless of status within society.

Reflection:

Overall this month I am not satisfied with my reading habits. I had allowed a lot of my school work to consume the majority of my time and had failed to make time for reading, which is something I would like to work upon in the upcoming months. I am aiming to read at least 10 pages per day and believe this is a reasonable goal as I have a lot more free time the next few weeks as we are learning from home. I am looking forward to finishing Their eyes were watching god next month and starting a few candy books as well.